We have 4 baseball fields, each geared to the age and abilities of our campers. These include official Little League, Babe Ruth League and Major Leagurs distances—the latter set in Alumni Stadium with spectator seating for the entire camp. All fields are dragged and lined every day, have all-grass infields and two have their own sprinkler systems. Two batting cages with pitching machines are also adjacent to the two larger fields.
As with our other Core Sports, we have a number of high school and college coaches who run our baseball program, along with the assistance of several D-1 and D-3 players.
Each baseball practice is well planned and has its own goals based on the age and skill level of players. Regardless of the session, our approach is consistent in terms of both teaching proper mechanics and team play. Our instructional sessions are non-stop, with little standing around as campers do many drills in smaller group work stations.
Learn More About Our Instructional Approach:
Instruction points and coaching approaches will vary by age and ability but will include as appropriate:
- proper throwing mechanics for both infield and outfield including weight balance, shoulder rotation, targeting and release points, proper striding and footwork, vs overhead,
-infield play including ground ball at a fielder vs to forehand and back hand, slow rollers and throwing off the opposite foot, sliding stops in the hole, double play footwork, positioning for/proper tagging, cut-off play, run down or pickle cycling, among others
-outfield play including charging fly balls, over-the-shoulder catches, fielding ground balls on the run, dealing with the sun, playing the outfield fence, relays and cut-offs, throwing behind the runner
-team defense and player positioning/backing up, on-field player communication, trick plays,
- proper hitting fundamentals including bat finger grip, stance, the stride, hip turn and proper rear foot pivot, shoulder, arms and head positioning, role of the top hitting hand and bat speed, opposite field hitting, hitting the curve and off speed pitches, hitting approach and pitch selection, etc
- proper bunting techniques including batting stance vs ‘old school’ square- around, plate management, head, hand and elbow positioning, sacrifice and drag bunts, fake bunt-and-hit, etc.
- base running including one and two-way leads from all bases, stealing, sliding including stand up, modified hook, head first, double play break up, pickle breakers, base approaches and running “off” a base
Pitching and Catching
- Pitching: proper arm mechanics, the stride and centerline, lead foot landing, ‘gathering’, rotation and push off, spotting the ball, pitching strategy, pick off moves, covering first, back up responsibilities
- Catching: proper stance and throwing mechanics, blocking balls, tag positions at home, stealing throws to all bases, target setting and game calling, mask management, fielding bunts, running the infield